Refugees International (RI), a humanitarian organization which advocates for lifesaving assistance and protection for refugees and other displaced people, seeks to hire a Senior Advocate for the Middle East. This regional expert will be RI’s primary advocate for human rights and protection of people and will promote solutions to humanitarian and displacement crises in the Middle East.
Ideal candidates have experience devising and implementing advocacy strategies in collaboration with the communications, government relations, and fundraising components of an organization. In addition, strong candidates have traveled to the region in a humanitarian capacity; have knowledge of (and, ideally) experience in documenting findings and written briefs and reports based on those findings; and have conducted interviews and discussions with displaced people, UN and NGO personnel, and government officials.
Research and Analysis
- Research displacement and humanitarian crises, in the Middle East with a particular focus on Iraq, Palestinians, Syria, and Yemen;
- Conduct three to four assessment trips a year to crisis zones in the Middle East (conditions permitting);
- Interview affected individuals, communities and others knowledgeable about the crisis situations, including other NGO professionals and United Nations and government officials;
- Write reports, issue briefs, and op-eds, and congressional testimonies analyzing humanitarian crises and challenges; and make recommendations to meet these challenges;
- Conduct desk-based research as necessary, when not on international travel, and other reasonably related duties as assigned.
- Devise and execute advocacy strategies to ensure the implementation of policy recommendations in collaboration with colleagues in the Communications and Government Relations teams. These strategies should include the use of advocacy campaign tactics like partner and civil society mobilization to bring pressure to bear on policy and law makers;
- Implement a plan of action related to advocating for the displaced and communicating other humanitarian crises in the Middle East;
- Advise and brief senior officials from the U.S. government, the United Nations, and donor communities on humanitarian crises; and recommend improvements for the protection of displaced populations and the delivery of humanitarian assistance;
- Advance the advocacy agenda through established media contacts and interviews;
- Represent the organization at coordination meetings organized by NGOs, the U.S. government, the UN, think tanks, and other relevant institutions;
- Build partnerships with local groups providing humanitarian assistance and refugee-led networks in the Middle East to advance shared advocacy goals;
- Advance the overall advocacy agenda of the organization.
EXPERIENCE and EDUCATION:
- A minimum of seven years of highly relevant experience on the Middle East including a combination of overseas work, preferably with refugees/internally displaced people or in crisis situations required;
- Experience working for US-based NGOs and/or direct experience with US advocacy and US policy highly desirable;
- Bachelor’s degree in international humanitarian affairs, political science, human rights, or Middle East required;
- Master’s degree preferred.
COMPETENCIES REQUIRED or PREFERRED
- Familiarity with the agencies of the international humanitarian system is required;
- Excellent analytical, writing, and public speaking communication skills required;
- Fluency in English required;
- Ability to work well with others in small teams required;
- Willingness to travel to potentially risky and isolated places with limited external support required;
- Formal hostile environment training preferred;
- Proficiency in Arabic is highly desirable;
- Familiarity with digital photography and digital videography very useful.
ABOUT REFUGEES INTERNATIONAL
Refugees International (RI) advocates for assistance and protection for refugees and displaced persons, and for solutions to refugee and humanitarian crises. The team of advocates travel to some of the world’s most severe displacement crises to investigate first-hand the challenges displaced people face, create policy solutions, and demand action.
SALARY RANGE: Depending on background and experience.
Applications should include a cover letter and résumé. Writing samples may be requested. Please send the application to https://refugeesinternational.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=27
Refugees International is an equal-opportunity employer that is committed to promoting a diverse and inclusive workplace. RI welcomes applications from all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, veteran status, or other factors protected by law.